Re: [hatari-devel] trace output format

On 10/08/2013 19:13, Eero Tamminen wrote:
IMHO if there are common fields in different traces, I think they
should be at the start of the trace with fixed widths, so that they
get aligned.  That makes reading traces with lots of similar lines
easier.

Only common field in IO trace is PC address, that's why I added it at
the start, with fixed width.

Without requiring to have a fixed length (which can make trace file unnecesseray big when using "--trace all" due to all the added "spaces"), the fact to have it in the 1st column seems enough to me if you want to do manipulations later on a full log file to filter some lines (having the trace type in the 1st column is easy to get with "grep ^xxxxxx" or with awk '{print $1}')

As not all traces need a PC, I think it should be kept at the end of the line.

Because PC address info is useful with most (all?) of the traces,
my counter-proposal is that it would be output automatically by
LOG_TRACE() macro, to the start of the trace line, and removed
from current LOG_TRACE() call sites.

I don't think PC address should be automatically added in traces. Some traces are not related to a cpu's action. For example, aci, ikbd, fdc, blitter or dma sound can generate traces on their own without a cpu instruction being involved. LOG_TRACE is also used in DSP, where no cpu PC is available, so getting PC values inside LOG_TRACE is not necessary someting straight forward.

So, I'd rather keep log_trace as simple as it is now and leave it to each component to choose the necessary level of details it wants to display.