Re: [hatari-devel] SDL 2.0

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:39 AM, Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It seems that SDL 2.x has dropped (among many other platforms)
MiNT support that was added to SDL 1.2 a while ago...

It's not directly related to Hatari but I've noticed that porting SDL games, should they decide to use the new API, to MiNT platform will be harder than before -- SDL now expects that there's always an external video RAM, i.e. it's not so easy (or at least I haven't seen it) to write to ST RAM directly without additional step ("blitting"). It's public secret that games which are ported to Atari straight away (without "deSDLizing") are always slower (because even in the 1.2 version often some additional blitting occurs instead of writing directly to ST/video RAM) and how it will be even worse.

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org