Re: [hatari-devel] Opinions on Hatari profiler "user interface"?

Hi again,

> I use it a lot now with my current new dev.
Now you got me interested. :-)
What kind of a project you're working on, is it related
to Beats of Rage, or something new?

You know me by the time, I won't say anything until it's over. ;)

It's something new (not related to Beats of Rage).
It's about 60% finished and I'm already quite pleased about the result.
But it's a secret ;) (I know, a secret on a mailing list ... <:oD)

I commited support for that, for *CPU* side:
	http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/

Great job.
I'll test it tomorrow (it's a bit too late tonight).
I'm currently working on the CPU side, so, it's no problem for the DSP (at least for now, but I'll see later if something is needed on this part)
And in general, the DSP code is smaller than the CPU code.

I use those "top" count & cycles lists mainly to see where in memory
the hotspots are and how/whether they're close together or spread out.

Actually, I've got 5 parts in my code which are cycles eater and they're not close to each other.
(My example was pure invention)
And it took a lot of commands to have a quick clue about the cycles eater instructions.
With this option, I can see in one look the main eaters and that's nice.
After, if needed, I can dig into some precise disasm, but the first overview is faster for a first analysis.

Best regards

Laurent