Re: [eigen] Matrix support in Clang

unsubscribe

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:21 AM Florian Hahn <florian_hahn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mark,

> On 18 Feb 2020, at 15:41, Mark Borgerding <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Caveat: I'm an interested but mostly ignorant observer.
>

> It seems to me like the clang/llvm developers may want to work on a
> `eigen_clang` fork in order to utilize the testing and benchmark code of
> Eigen.
>
> Showcasing against baseline Eigen would provide an important data point
> for the "so what?" question that all projects must face.
>
> It would also provide a testing baseline. I'm sure there would need to
> be additional tests specific to the domain of compilers.
>

> I think that baseline Eigen vs. the clang/llvm matrix support could be
> the sort of friendly rivalry that benefits both sides (and subsequently
> all users).

Agreed. To avoid any confusion I’d like to re-iterate that the matrix extension is not intended to replace libraries like Eigen, but to help simplify & improve on cases where developers currently would have to use target-specific intrinsics/ext_vector_type to get optimal performance.

Cheers,
Florian