|Re: [eigen] Matrix support in Clang|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Matrix support in Clang
- From: Florian Hahn <florian_hahn@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 13:21:18 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=apple.com; h=sender : from : content-type : content-transfer-encoding : mime-version : subject : date : references : to : in-reply-to : message-id; s=20180706; bh=kUJlafOnjWSaGxC2tBSOpbmnaHOLizfBb+xO7nuEq3g=; b=d6Ivb/AJsmzD4xKwygyPtRaJK11XkdbAA+9lswHeAkkFpp+Dhz+ClUVUU4TAGZgb9Oae XOJF75sUam9hwGYo3HRxIoXXHjXW0/DSU9njnlAreCkmyNWQeysz1ltQ1faBocvxA6wR nOVlFuIs+LlEAAwsSzkyZJNzOpVFt7hReJoVj41V53FOcnb2blGoKfYZ9P4yZlhygtNY 7+BXT0/BY6VFaOk8oRCdOQxpVuLJ741xl69FbTXWl/7WBe4Kfxd8RDVeCpHb0S/dj3Ft 2u+D7QZVueUld+n7FsgZkHI40MwlMZqADftXEch+da7c7BA5lG5LLkv0Q3LvlLa7Ewf8 Zg==
> On 18 Feb 2020, at 15:41, Mark Borgerding <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Caveat: I'm an interested but mostly ignorant observer.
> It seems to me like the clang/llvm developers may want to work on a
> `eigen_clang` fork in order to utilize the testing and benchmark code of
> Showcasing against baseline Eigen would provide an important data point
> for the "so what?" question that all projects must face.
> It would also provide a testing baseline. I'm sure there would need to
> be additional tests specific to the domain of compilers.
> I think that baseline Eigen vs. the clang/llvm matrix support could be
> the sort of friendly rivalry that benefits both sides (and subsequently
> all users).
Agreed. To avoid any confusion I’d like to re-iterate that the matrix extension is not intended to replace libraries like Eigen, but to help simplify & improve on cases where developers currently would have to use target-specific intrinsics/ext_vector_type to get optimal performance.