Re: [eigen] Eigen 3.1.1 and LGPL components

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Gael Guennebaud
<gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it's "LGPL2.1, or (at your option) any later version". So, it's LGPL3 too.
>
> gael

I suppose you could add both license versions, but usually in my
experience folks just include the LGPL2.1 - since the code has the "or
any later version" clause, projects wanting to restrict subsequent
work to only higher versions of the LGPL can substitute the newer text
themselves (although usually it's a better idea to keep the original
license + "or later versions" clause when possible, in my experience -
going "newer only" on LGPL/GPL projects where the original baselines
on the older version essentially guarantees a fork.)  The implication
of including the newer license text is usually "there is some part of
this work that isn't OK under just LGPL2.1 or later, so we need to
include LGPLv3".  If you do opt to include both license texts, I'd
suggest an explicit note in the COPYING.README file clarifying that
there isn't any LGPLv3 only code in Eigen.

Cheers, and thanks again for taking the time to clarify this!
CY