|Re: [eigen] documentation: the long tutorial|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] documentation: the long tutorial
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:55:38 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=gNnHVXxqU9mqcxu6NhpTwAIWTxu3rTlqKHL7F3UDcjY=; b=DmT8EsbCi0xsvlhCwn2yCTfcjGpHatp+MXmGngzM4I9wIdqnxUHoCq01sj0pKav0zH WQ1ldd8klC4u2WcTYOX0riR/gA6Iu+V/AbUYgtEjVpv0ravJcEfXspmgy5S8/+36UigB AfOqRK0YojobH5DAUxKycAuVHysDD5NcD5R08=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=SFMkib/5NOqhtHJvdB4wYKjNFQ6DteUMDBylaS/puMLv434YGNfHUHhQdMOrFk4Dxn GGhijxjEkWjOkQ/0GfhIMpWflCLgqY8PTyOaJxvaEHVA6RoHZQubrOwNjn1JBH7K2cIZ u/Yr6ZSoU1HpFLIDV0eui2qAZKAk6r5fiVJtA=
2010/6/18 Thomas Capricelli <orzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> In data venerdì 18 giugno 2010 15:18:05, Benoit Jacob ha scritto:
>> 11. Eigen's class hierarchy
>> 12. Eigen's various header files
>> We mention here the headers such as Eigen/Core (so far we talked only
>> about Eigen/Dense and perhaps Sparse).
> Yes, I agree. This is very important to lower the "barrier to entry" for newcomers.
> All of this is for users, and is what is needed first. Ideally, one day, there would be also some doc toward developers (of eigen). It is harder to write, but something very great would be a general overview of the design. Something very high level, not going into details (only giving pointers), that would help understanding, from a developer point of view, how things are done.
> It would mention the various c++ tricks used, the general way of handling vectorization(paquets?), how different codepaths are taken according to various compilers options/matrix or vector types/features detected(such as availability of vectorization or openmp), and so on.
Yes, I agree that this is very much needed too, and that that would
become our next documentation priority once good user documentation is
Note that "part 4" of my user documentation plan, namely the many
"special topics" pages, can cover quite advanced topics. But yes, we
will need fully developer-focused pages too and even why not a
sequential developer tutorial.
> Yes, i fully agree this can wait for after 3.0. But then, it would become a must-have !
> Thomas Capricelli <orzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>