Re: [eigen] Allocation policy of eigen decompositions

I wanted to bring up some issues concerning the Eigenvalues module. All 7 decompositions now have a problem size constructor, but the final goal, which is to prevent heap allocations in the compute() method when using (smallish) dynamic matrices + the problem size constructor, seems a bit more difficult to achieve than with the other modules. These are the main holdbacks:

1. Methods returning matrices by value

Most other eigen decompositions have output getters that return reference-to-const matrices/vectors, which is very convenient. In the cases where an output is currently not a class member, but constructed on demand (as in HessenbergDecomposition<MatrixType>::matrixQ() ), a template Options parameter à la JacobiSVD would do the trick and enable returning a ref-to-const, n'est-ce pas?. Consider the particular example of ComplexSchur<MatrixType>::compute(), which uses internally a Hessenberg decomposition. Now I've made HessenbergDecomposition<MatrixType>::compute() heap-allocation-free, but then as soon as I invoke HessenbergDecomposition<MatrixType>::matrixQ() I have an unwanted (and preventable) heap allocation.

As a sidenote, there is a comment in line 170 of Tridiagonalization.h that states:

// FIXME should this function (and other similar ones) rather take a matrix as argument and fill it ? (to avoid temporaries)

but from the perspective of maintaining consistency with the rest of Eigen, maybe returning ref-to-consts is best (?)

2. Prevent the creation of temporaries

Although the simpler cases have already been addressed, there are still a few less-trivial cases where it's better to ask for an opinion. For example, in SelfAdjointEigenSolver<MatrixType>::compute(...) there is this line:

TridiagonalizationType::decomposeInPlace(m_eivec, diag, m_subdiag, computeEigenvectors);

Which internally allocates a Tridiagonalization solver. What would be --in your opinion-- the best workaround in terms of API consistency and code duplication prevention?.

That's it for now. Of the two issues described above, 1. seems to be the more pressing one, since it potentially involves API changes. As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

Adolfo