Re: [eigen] Allocation policy of eigen decompositions

2010/4/15 Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian <adolfo.rodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Eigen devs,
>
> After a couple of weeks disconnected from the dev branch, and with the date
> of the Beta1 tag fast approaching,

I was about to propose delaying beta1 and/or turning it into an alpha.

> I'd like to ask about the status of a
> couple of topics that have been discussed in this (and another) thread:
>
> - It was mentioned that decompositions would have a constructor with size
> parameters. Is this API addition still on?. I just checked the two SVD's on
> tip and it is not yet the case

It is still planned, it is not yet implemented.

> - What's the status on computing decompositions in place, and the
> possibility of making this work on blocks?

Both still planned, both not yet implemented.

> - Will optimized matrix products between smallish matrices (size < 50x50)
> involve heap allocations?. A previous post said that on Linux (which is my
> case) alloca() is used so no heap (but rather stack) allocations. Am I
> understanding this correctly?

Yes, on linux we are using stack allocation there. There are plans to
do that on MSVC too. The threshold is controlled by
EIGEN_STACK_ALLOCATION_LIMIT. See Core/util/Memory.h.

Roadmap-wise, here's how things are looking for me:
 - i'm currently knee deep in very deep changes with the class
hierarchy, storage orders, and fully supporting 0 and 1 sizes.
 - once i'm done i want to finish the cleanup of renaming "Matrix" to
"Object" wherever needed, etc
 - once i'm done i must do the new SVD

That i'm sure to be able to do by early May. Then I start my new job
so will have less time.

Help with the above-discussed items is very welcome :)

Benoit