[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Owls
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:08:33 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=ZF5obKijBGUD4/nziCJD9bH4Q4bfET18BnAXhe3/NGg=; b=v3j6mbmsrjCMWM9U+7VZYPmw/Rh/tTMDeFrbr/HfzS2cWY6jK4j5tzKKa4e+HtCPUi i3XoeU1xGrQV+q2JO32tSc7EPq8vQ8c69g8T19fwXdPeaSPokT2VBOVnF4Ja9rxZF6pc VmynPWmHP0Hvc3yvwtdK7ftwKc2664mV8s26I=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=D3gEFDlUWlk/sPdX1+/rDpyEgccdGVWS697PD7xbtERJhMWJheUnpkASUEEI63j6Ao 5hTUvGSYEC3rUXxwYQQ+eDDf/prxOmVGZIM92kYM/lf1qVai0+zsgIQjCFtbDUURw6OS i1434fxkk/eiN14hST76TMo7E4uvtk9qGOz4k=
2010/3/3 Mark Borgerding <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I tend to agree with Gael. The owls are very nice, but the complexity of
> the hand-drawn lines are not easy to reproduce and make it a bit cluttered.
> I made an attempt at capturing the style of the silly professor in a logo,
> but I'm not a very good artist. I fear it looks a bit like Tux in a
Well you aren't a great artist (neither am I!!) but your idea in
itself sounds good to me: by stylizing (is that proper English?) the
existing owl into simple vector graphics, it should be possible to
create something that's simultaneously modern/abstract ... while still
being cute/stupid (e.g., like you do, by keeping the silly hat).
I have a vague idea of what could be cool: a black-on-white vector
shape of the main outlines but with a "calligraphic" feel, one should
feel the movement of the pen, think chinese calligraphy... does that
> Gael Guennebaud wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>> I just got back in touch with David Benjamin, who had drawn our owl
>> pictures 2 years ago. Indeed, with Eigen 3 on the horizon, I was
>> thinking that some new graphics on our website would be very welcome.
>> He's still interested in Eigen (actually using it) and potentially
>> available to draw owls!
>> But before asking him to, I'd like to check with you if our original
>> vision for Eigen's mascot is still in line with the Eigen developer
>> community. Indeed, our mascot dates back to March 2008...
>> Let's give again this link which has most of the owls that David drew:
>> Do you like them? OK to continue in that direction?
>> I still like the idea of a owl, and having such a series of 4 variants is
>> really cool. Now, honestly I've never really liked the style of the drawing.
>> Don't misunderstand me, the drawings are good, but for a different context.
>> IMO they do not work very well as a logo and/or to illustrate a website. I'd
>> prefer something more modern, abstract, ...
>> Needless to say, _I_ like them a lot. Just checking if I'm still in
>> sync with the developer community...
>> If you are interested in a storyline, here's one: Eigen is a big
>> clunky steam machine and is actually manned by an army of stupid
>> little engineer-owls who work frenetically in the lower levels.