Re: [eigen] Owls

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/3/3 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I just got back in touch with David Benjamin, who had drawn our owl
>> pictures 2 years ago. Indeed, with Eigen 3 on the horizon, I was
>> thinking that some new graphics on our website would be very welcome.
>> He's still interested in Eigen (actually using it) and potentially
>> available to draw owls!
>>
>> But before asking him to, I'd like to check with you if our original
>> vision for Eigen's mascot is still in line with the Eigen developer
>> community. Indeed, our mascot dates back to March 2008...
>>
>> Let's give again this link which has most of the owls that David drew:
>> http://download.tuxfamily.org/eigen/owls/contest/David_four_owls.jpg
>>
>> Do you like them? OK to continue in that direction?
>

> I still like the idea of a owl, and having such a series of 4 variants is
> really cool. Now, honestly I've never really liked the style of the drawing.
> Don't misunderstand me, the drawings are good, but for a different context.
> IMO they do not work very well as a logo and/or to illustrate a website. I'd
> prefer something more modern, abstract, ...

Boom. You just made our fluffy owl explode in disappointment. Now
there are feathers all over the place!

oops

I understand that the drawing style was very non-standard for a
website/mascot (i don't call it a logo). But to me this was a plus, it
was original and showed that we're an informal non-corporate entity.

But if you don't like it, then it doesn't work, of course.

Question: if we adopted a more "modern/abstract" logo in the top-left
spot of the wiki (the mediawiki logo image), would it be OK to keep
stupid non-modern owls at other places, inside of the wiki pages (e.g.
the TODO owl) or is that a problem too? I need to understand precisely
what you mean by: "they do not work very well [...] to illustrate a
website" -- i'm afraid that this means that you want them completely
gone?

Don't worry the other owls are ok. I definitely prefer to have them than nothing, though I'd not mind a small lifting...

My main concern was indeed toward the main owl, the mascot, which incidentally also plays the role of a logo.

oh, and I don't want to bury the current mascot, I'm sure we can find a nice place for it in the wiki, like in all the pages dedicated to the 2.0 branch (doc, changelog).

gael.

Benoit