|Re: [eigen] MSVC debug tools|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] MSVC debug tools
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:45:15 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=IODep7/TXteLu8x+CHGM7KhodASnwoRcBq00mdKlI2o=; b=vvly1n/1pnlxEOWPqSeu13bCbOroU+wJ9dK9htF9y2XOy/i/8EsTuoFhid0hyYYfKo kq8wUJzgkBOI/VfSZPobjw5DCgCwJFP4zDpQRLawDLCC4+lrrDGM6sx2sFo5WGa0wNL2 jzdJj9Jg4dXupX7BjLZDc58XACakjUVq/4SU8=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=JYf5m7FP/EcB1XFElH4CtXT5/fMyfhl/cX6z09o/vVyhdq7SD+/iEDzOM+HUYFDmnS iGi0hBvqNpUtc+sKz6LNkvYzdAxoBKiYCg3ZE+cPm3zTLL/FLZWmHUPetXoZB3olSpJx +NXpiuJm+tAdm/okOR9XXD8QMWrz2lLp+LV2c=
Is that something that could be added to debug/msvc/ ?
Perhaps along with some explanatory text?
2009/12/20 Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I am already on holidays - though occasionally reading the list...
> I know about these things and they are cool. It's just that you have to be
> aware of the fact that fiddling with the registry always incurrs some
> danger. But other than that this is actually a really nice feature. Other
> classes for which this is nifty since they are bugging are
> std::tr1::shared_ptr and alike.
> p.s.: Just be aware of the fact that the file supplied by Björn is VC9
> (Visual Studio 2008) specific! On the other hand-side I dare to say that the
> changes are really harmless and should not hurt your system...
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
>> This stuff seems very exciting, but the chief of MSVC debugging stuff
>> here is Hauke so let's wait for his reply, personnally I don't have
>> MSVC to try it!
>> 2009/12/18 Björn Piltz <bjornpiltz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> > There is an undocumented feature in Visual Studio which let's you
>> > avoid stepping into certain functions when you're debugging. This
>> > could be very helpful when debugging Eigen, since you often have to
>> > step in and out of trivial functions before getting to the real
>> > functionality.
>> > e.g. :
>> > return
>> > ei_assign_selector<Derived,OtherDerived,false>::run(this->derived(),
>> > other.derived());
>> > Here you would have to step into derived() twice, before getting into
>> > the more interesting run().
>> > The fix consists of adding the following registry key to
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\NativeDE\StepOver
>> > Eigen\:\:.*\:\:derived=NoStepInto
>> > or
>> > Eigen\:\:.*Base\<.*\>\:\:.*Base\<.*\>=NoStepInto
>> > which will disable stepping into any empty constructor like
>> > MatrixBase::MatrixBase()
>> > I have attached a registry patch, but it would be great if someone
>> > could test it before I put it on the wiki. Also post candidates here
>> > for the most annoying functions to be included.
>> > You have to rename the file to .reg to use it.
>> > For reference here is a blog post describing the feature
>> > http://blogs.msdn.com/andypennell/archive/2004/02/06/69004.aspx.
>> > Björn