[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] StdVector
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:51:27 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=fWw7mRcC0PNFHoYJ/C5VKfHtmQkIcgKfMox4/aTOjkE=; b=V/WXTnO+W+iwHZuHLWjrI4y3KZ6v79Eh+tKqHYYKF+ZL6Lw8IbU2F5beGM98vB/gHo rH2VrvTDCUjT85DdcwVDuE1/mozIkQXasMotzObpa+wW9NEXtVjLcHQOnM5sk/sea2Hp LJrYHUMWO5CoCGaLog1iCxzvKfvaSbpVXKz0k=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=pXDxVZ0d4RA++uQvGJICF/j6jLRyooOn5JxsD2WvDeedTw83CNETR3DkCarBYlIHX4 g3b1f3NefufMkKn54jFql+tGlcu4VgAkvF7tCQpCeB3cxn/yFqA8MnHK8AHMi+31QRuT kDC/a+jU/e2PNr2Ss2N+3Bd+SZLhj9RmD//78=
2009/4/15 Robert Lupton the Good <rhl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'd much prefer to see eigen use std::vector, and help
> users provide the neeeded specializations -- i.e.
>> or write a dox page on how to
>> manually write a std::vector specialization like we do for Eigen
> One of eigen's great attractions that it's a light weight,
> no dependencies, way of getting efficient linear algebra
> into standard-compliant C++ codes. To look forward, it's
> just the sort of library that boost needs.
> To add our own nearly-but-not-quite version of part of the
> STL seems to me to go against this principle.
I hear your point. But let's differentiate between 2 things:
1) fiddling with the STL containers in general
2) fiddling with the STL containers only when specialized for Eigen
types, and only to work around a plain bug in the current c++ standard
that is anyway being fixed in the next c++ standard.
The problem that Markus hit, is that Eigen 2.0.1 does 1) when the
intention was really to do 2). If we can instead to 2) strictly, then
I think that's OK.
The std::vector from the c++98 standard is plain useless for
fixed-size vectorizable eigen types because the alignment qualifiers
are discarded when the object is passed by value to resize().