|Re: [eigen] proposal: call the Geometry module experimental|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] proposal: call the Geometry module experimental
- From: Keir Mierle <mierle@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:59:53 -0800
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=r8cagCstWSUTM+GlEHSpZINnBsvKJrIqAoV6tjRKWN4=; b=lfvWXsKx3wMYQvQ/6ONmYfZggk4aiqUtVd7NyywNcVOMN4WEl16tOoJFDy5Fz7n0Gr sl6KnWyQkO/vqOVhAAWy1SyXOtMOTRo8DvXLoeIduH7NcJYI5dXbQ+VkDpuEiVYs2lnJ QWhZNApL1sbsF0tfnXOdbhQege758gFvaHPm8=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=foBCXz/vn8vHhy4jDbgmDpDrxGP7Fv9r0J8rf/hvYT9VgdynLzzLGsqnlpmszHRxGy e9hWl2sPkCcA9DgWnbEm5cPvBDcFmoUt+QrviT3gUoiUSx9bP5MHisl8dzfeyc3204/K uU3Iuqsv56+GmuLtX/nroNLOXkRsvm+lFD4o8=
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
I propose to call the Geometry module experimental for the 2.0 release.
I'd still make sure to preserve compatibility for the subset that I
know Krita uses (and also Avogadro).
But i'd like to keep some freedom to improve the API.
I think that some classes are useless as they are just trivial
wrappers around vectors: Translation and Scaling. Moreover as Ben's
email shows they can be confusing as a geometric scaling is in general
not representable by class Scaling (as soon as the scaling axes are
The geometry module is almost useful for the projective geometry needed for computer vision. I will look into it some more to see about having a better API that generalizes to the types of thing we need in vision (i.e. a 3x4 matrix * "3"xn matrix, where the last row is constant 1s (hence "")).
The alternative would be to selectively mark classes as experimental,
but i have an overall uneasy feeling about part of the Geometry module