Re: [eigen] What about HyperPlane ?

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Benoît Jacob <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why not; There is a question: do you think the hyperplane equation should have
> normalized normal vector?

definitely yes ! my class currently enforces unit normal.

> For most use cases, this is very useful. Like computing the distance from your
> hyperplane to points. It is much faster if the normal vector can be assumed
> to be normalized. For that reason a hyperplane class is much more useful with
> normalized normal vector.

exactly

> This will probably require to normalize in fitHyperplane() but that's no big
> deal, the cost is not much compared to the eigensolver used.

fitHyperplane() already returns a normalized normal because it is and
eigen vector.  (hm... this remark might be quite confusing ! for the
lost reader: don't think Eigen's vectors cannot be non-unit, only
eigen ones are normalized ;) )

> Notify me before changing the fitHyperplane() API because this affects
> Avogadro :) We need to coordinate.

yes I know that, so I'll mark the old one with a deprecated gcc
warning for a few weeks....

gael.