Re: [eigen] some problems with building with AltiVec enabled

Quoting Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:

patch committed, thanks a lot.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Konstantinos Margaritis
<markos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok, I have an update of the AltiVec packetmath.h, seems ei_predux* methods
were buggy, so I fixed them. Plus, ei_pdiv, ei_pmul were also problematic, I
had to invent a new algorithm for ei_pmul (integer case) as AltiVec does not
have an instruction for that and most algorithms on that are about unsigned
ints (Eigen2 uses signed 32-bit ints). ei_pdiv was disabled for now, but I
intend to look at it again closer. Right now many tests pass, except these:

* cholesky (some times it fails, 3/10 failures)
* geometry (3/10 failures)
* inverse (1/10 failures)
* sum (2/10 failures)

I have the same here. The failures are likely due to numerical
precision issues, and then just noise though we never checked that
carefully.

I also have numerical stability issues. This is getting annoying because determining if a test passes or not often requires to run it several times (each time with 10 repeats) to see if failure occurs everytime. This is really unfortunate as it could make us ignore a real error that would be only occasionally triggerred.

When you say

intend to look at it again closer. Right now many tests pass, except these:

* cholesky (some times it fails, 3/10 failures)
* geometry (3/10 failures)
* inverse (1/10 failures)
* sum (2/10 failures)

I hope that you mean that _sometimes_ they fail. Retrying, you should still be able to get 10 repeats working in a row. If it fails everytime you launch the default 10 repeats, then something is definitely wrong.