Re: [eigen] Eigen appears to rock.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:37 AM,  <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 100% agree with Gael.

Oh, well. :^)

> Another argument against Point is that it means more types hence more
> code instantiated for the same thing.

I think that it is not for the same thing.

> For example, the Point+Vector addition is exactly the same as
> Vector+Vector, so let's not make it generate the same code a second
> time.

The fact that Point+Vector returns Point is actually an important
difference, because the returned Point transforms differently from the
Vector, and the Point has a much smaller and different interface of
allowed operations.

By using classes like these in my own code, it has actually helped me to
clarify thoughts in my own mind (and, I think, to keep my code more
readable).

> I didn't realize that this method was called affine(). Why? To me, the
> whole 4x4 matrix is an affine transformation (which means linear
> transformation combined with translation) and the topleft 3x3 block is
> the _linear_ part.  So, how about renaming affine() to linear() ?

I agree completely.  I suggested the same thing in my other message.

You guys are great to talk to.  Thanks for giving me some time.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan

There are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it,
and those who accept dogma and don't know it. - G.K. Chesterton