Re: [eigen] Eigen appears to rock.

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your interest in Eigen.

First let me clarify your questions about the product operator of Transform:

Transform3f T;
Vector3f p;
Vector4f h;

"T * p"  returns a 3 components vector equal to "T.affine() * p +
T.translation()"

"T * h"  returns a 4 components vector equal to "T.matrix() * h"

T.matrix() is the internal 4x4 transformation matrix.
T.affine() is the 3x3 affine part of the above 4x4 matrix (it
represents the rotation + scale + shear)

So if you want to transform a vector you can still write "T.affine() *
v" (or, as you suggested, use homogeneous vectors).

Now what about distinguishing Point and Vector types ? I have to say
that I've already used a couple of libraries making such a type
difference, and every time I ended up with spending my time to convert
Point to Vector (remove zero) and Vector to Point (add zero), and I
disliked that a lot.

From a practical point of view the only difference between Points and
Vectors happens when you apply a transformation. Therefore, I prefer
to have these conversions implicit (by using only Vectors) and give
the specific semantic when I apply a transformation.

Moreover, if your vectors represent differential quantities of an
object (gradient, normal, tangents) then you need to transform them by
the Jacobian of your transformation, which is for an affine
transformation matrix the transpose of the inverse, e.g.:

T.affine().inverse().transpose() * normal;

(of course if your affine transformation is a pure rotation then you
can use T.affine() right away).

That means you would not need only 2 different types (Point and
Vector) but also a third one: DifferentialVector. I cannot imagine the
nightmare to use a lib which would do that !!

So really, I think using only Vector is the best way to go, and if you
really want to distinguish Point and Vector, the elegant solution
would be to use homogeneous vectors, but 1) this requires an
additional component 2) this increases computation time 3) this
requires very great care from the user and might yields very hard to
find bugs. So again, IMO, using only Vector is not bad !

Anyway, this let me though Transform could be slightly improved by
adding the following explicit shortcuts:

Vector3 transformPoint(Vector3) const;
Vector3 transformVector(Vector3) const;
Vector3 transformDifferentialVector(Vector3) const;
Matrix3 normalMatrix() const;

I'm not sure about transformDifferentialVector because it is very slow
if you transform more than a single vector.
normalMatrix() would returns the transformation matrix you have to use
to transform your normals.

cheers,
gael.