|[eigen] Eigen appears to rock.|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [eigen] Eigen appears to rock.
- From: "Thomas Vaughan" <tevaughan@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:10:56 -0600
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=ROcDGGS2KPpzPwolZ1yx4nyAfSFc/VPOUqrAjkKf+/U=; b=VACf6gIBCQwYYtKZ+BN8EDmgfxcpZCjEsg8pIsbo2I773h5zw7As6076+YB183uEsY hXMpdspq4bxuZ8ScLdfgNfve+uxJpATlNl159u+fAH6INVy2awJG/WJcXUxXuT3ObRaQ JXx9K/x/JQmoYKQ+w1cV97JzSYpZWrz2QyJKE=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type; b=xeS8gsb4R0Cgexlcd+28La5pfiQTIz9WucuZstVYkWQx9Iin300/cqTKcyfuajgNRK ksTts45xV+HLglsgGJYA/QD1R0cVs0EyA70wCkUgXqX4qxTYwk9JR6uqUeGkdTurSbHM 3WxN0htgtbPZ1woh13zo2D72xaKXB4w4sfTuY=
I've been looking for a high-performance C++ class library that supports three-dimensional vectors, cross-products, rotations, etc. I've long been using a simple-minded library that I wrote for myself, but performance has lately become a concern for me. Over the past few days I've tried out tvmet and boost::numeric::ublas. Not being satisfied with those, I started writing my own small library to do just what I want. After all, implementing a template _expression_ is somewhat fun, and using the curiously recurring template pattern to avoid virtual functions is a neat trick.
Then I stumbled across eigen.
I just spent an hour or so reading through your API.
So far as what I need, the only thing that seems not already built in is the idea of a coordinate system (which includes both a basis and an origin) and the idea of a point (which transforms differently from a vector). Of course, this can be handled with four-dimensional matrices and vectors as in OpenGL. Maybe point-transform stuff is already in the geometry module, though I didn't see it. Anyway, eigen looks so good that I thought that I would join the mailing list. I'm sure to have questions once I start using it.
Thomas E. Vaughan
There are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it, and those who accept dogma and don't know it. - G.K. Chesterton