|Re: [eigen] limiting executable code size with debug info|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: "Benoît Jacob" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [eigen] limiting executable code size with debug info
- From: "Gael Guennebaud" <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 17:26:48 +0200
- Cc: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=k4TbObLVo86uNyDsIWoR2j+0CFB1yuNjIH1XdfyneAA=; b=wvo6JOgoPBQZ8yye5PtKhtIqTruJLDNYeNoHQ3lSsc2wetWEFCrHEZaWyJhczYfBLa eMsbPBcpWy+1v+LFYRYOqrxoSTvOEUKpcb3FaUGSz5wqqKa9yTD9A69++AHKnKQRJup/ M7RirZDlDMfn7rm9xZx5QqO2R3QXFf/tSSjTY=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:references; b=HwtiXhdcTe7Fo/W9VKODExSOPwCi5zKrQ0BnfQx6BL7bxMpeMlNm+RLZxLxbYO6CI2 Lrrgz53/keBtdmOqAC7ty7eg3uad5CpnyXXokpPgWxCwULkQuJBKUEhkbcAT6/XLETzn p9LTOm+HVyLY82SSW9OmzEfss1gTQagM8aEPU=
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Benoît Jacob <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 09 June 2008 16:57:37 Gael Guennebaud wrote:Just FYI kdelibs is not using eigen and, as far as I can see, doesn't have a
> but my project also has its own template mess so the overhead is not 100%
> due to eigen2. It would be interesting to grab such statistics on kdelibs
> for instance...
use for it.
I know, this is why it is interesting to try on it to see the overhead of -g2 compared to -g1 on "normal" code. But it seems KDE cmake files overwrite user settings... so I cannot try with -g1....
57M code sounds huge... is it a really big project you're working on, or is it
something really special that justifies having many template instantiations,
or is it just that eigen and/or your other template stuff is generating far
too much executable code?
57M is not that huge, my project is quite large indeed with large templated classes instanciated twice for 2D and 3D...
> > wrote: <http://download.tuxfamily.org/eigen/benchmark-g1.s.gz>
> >> So, does anybody have an idea what to do to make Eigen usable with -g2 ?
> > yes of course, that's easy:
> > let's rewrite eigen using QVariant to store the coefficients and virtual
> > members ;)
> > no, seriously I have no idea how to deal with that issue :( I know
> > several template libraries which generate GB of .o in debug mode and I
> > hate that... Maybe it'd be worth asking on GCC mailing list since the
> > answer to this issue probably requires to know very well how GCC behaves
> > internally.
> > Gael.