Re: [AD] Don't use Devpaks

On 5/10/2016 at 11:40 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Tue 10 May 2016 09:47:10 AM Andrew Robinson wrote:
>> I understand your nightmare, but all hope is not lost. For example, how
>> about incorporating show_mouse(NULL) in the destroy_bitmap() function? If
>> mouse_init() was never called, and instead of crashing or erroring out,
>> just gracefully handle that exception and ignore it, backwards
>> compatibility would be retained and the API will make more sense in that
>> regard.

>Its still a behavior change. Whether its one that will break anything remains
>to be seen.

>That said, that isn't and entirely valid change. You'd have to check to see
if
>the bitmap being destroyed is the bitmap that is currently the target for the
>mouse. You don't want destroy_bitmap clearing the show_mouse() bitmap every
>time, even if it isn't the target.

How is it any different then if I only call show_mouse(screen) and then exit
the program? I don't have to call show_mouse(NULL) then.

So can I call destroy_bitmap() without having to call show_mouse(NULL) if I
target a different bitmap before destroying it?

What is the difference between show_mouse(bitmap) and show_mouse(screen), i.e.
-- why do I have to target a bitmap instead of the screen? Afterall, the mouse
never draws anything on the bitmap or the screen, that's what functions like
circlefill() and draw_sprite() are for. It makes more sense to call
circlefill(bitmap) or draw_sprite(bitmap), but show_mouse(bitmap) ... that
doesn't make sense. All I need any mouse function(s) for is to give me x and y
coordinates of the mouse, tell me which button(s) has been clicked on the
mouse, and change the mouse cursor type, which is what show_os_cursor() does,
so what's up with this show_mouse(bitmap) or show_mouse(screen) thing? The
Allegro API's don't provide me with enough information on this, or it isn't
easy to find, so it makes me leery of using show_mouse(). Is show_mouse() a
custom Allegro driver for the mouse? If yes, then that driver behavior needs
to be documented.