From: Max Savenkov [mailto:max.savenkov@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: March 16, 2015 1:56 PM
To: alleg-developers@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AD] Triggers under Linux

More bad news. xpad driver, which is used for all XInput devices, actually
does not confirm to Gamepad API specification I referred to before. Instead
of reporting triggers as ABS_HAT1X and ABS_HAT1Y, it reports them as ABS_Z
and ABS_RZ (Gamepad API offers no opinion as to what the f..k those values
are meant to be). There is also a patch to change that behaviour to
reporting ABS_BRAKE and ABS_THROTTLE, but it seems it wasn't applied. There
seem to be no complete agreement among drivers' authors on what's the right
course here. Some of them use ABS_HAT1X/HAT1Y, other ABS_Z/RZ. Can you
imagine any legitimate use of ABS_Z/RZ to denote anything else BUT a
trigger? If not, I guess the best way would be to add ABS_Z and ABS_RZ to
the list of single-axis sticks.