Re: [AD] 5.0 and 5.2 on the same system

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:56:12 +0100, Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I still think when compiling 5.0 code for 5.2 it actually *should* be
> manually checked for any deprecated code and someone should be forced
> to consciously change the version from 5.0 to 5.2.

I don't understand what you want to achieve with that.  5.2 will be
almost completely source compatible with 5.0 so there's nothing to
check.  If I have Allegro 5.2 installed and the program I'm trying to
build tries to link with allegro-5.0, I'm just going to bump it to
allegro-5.2 without any further thought.  It's just an annoyance.

> So my idea would be
> the other way around, not only keep the 5.0 for pkgconfig, but also
> have the pkgconfig files link to the full name (I'm not sure why they
> don't already anyway).

I assume by full name you mean the library with the soname.

Peter