Re: [AD] 5.0 and 5.2 on the same system

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:32:26 +0100, Tobias Hansen <thansen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> By the way, the pkgconfig files
> already have this flaw. It would be better if they also would not have
> the ".0".

I also think it's a problem.

The minor version suffix slightly helps the parallel installation case.
You can have one of each Allegro branch listed on your PKG_CONFIG_PATH
then choose between them on the pkg-config command-line.  It's a pretty
high cost for that, though, if every program that depends on Allegro
needs to probe multiple branches.

It also doesn't help the more general case.  You can't choose between
5.1.3 and 5.1.4 on the pkg-config command-line.  That's doable by
putting the desired version earlier on PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

We _could_ release Allegro 5.2 with *-5.0.pc files, or we may consider
transitioning to branch-neutral names.

Peter

PS. GTK+2 still uses gtk+-2.0.pc though I don't know what the "2.0"
means to them.