Re: [AD] 5.0 and 5.2 on the same system

Am 10.12.2012 21:53, schrieb Elias Pschernig:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:45:29 -0700
> Jon Rafkind <workmin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Right now 'pkg-config allegro-5.0 --libs' returns -lallegro. If we
>> continue on this path then allegro 5.2 will also return -lallegro so
>> how can both 5.0 and 5.2 be installed on the same system?
>>
>> I would like the major version to be appended to the library name so
>> we get something like -lallegro-5.2 back. Header files would also
>> have to be installed to major version specific folders like
>> allegro5/5.2 instead of just allegro5/.
>>
>> (I sent an email like this 4 months ago but it didn't go anywhere)
>>

> Since 5.0 and 5.2 will not be compatible (well, 99% backwards-source
> compatible, but still) - including the mayor version number does sound
> like the right thing to me. I have no idea about the implications this
> would have for Linux Distributions though - I assume those are the
> reason we have the -lallegro right now.

For distributions it is much better if the reverse dependencies do not
have to be changed for a source compatible library transition. (An
automatic rebuild vs manually changing all the packages.) This goes
against source compatibility, everybody else would also have to change
their projects for the Allegro update. By the way, the pkgconfig files
already have this flaw. It would be better if they also would not have
the ".0".

The libraries can of course be installed in parallel, it's just the
development files that are usually not co-installable.