Re: [AD] a5 ubuntu ppa

On 11/30/2012 04:08 AM, Jon Rafkind wrote:
I'm not thrilled about joining a debian-devel-games list just to discuss this so I will avoid it if possible.

We can also discuss these things here if the Allegro developers don't mind.

About the debian/ directory. It specifies a lot of stuff specific to 5.0 like filenames with 5.0 in the name so it will be hard/annoying to have a 5.1 build as well. Also the control file lists non-dev packages with 5.0 in the name but dev packages with just '5'.

Package: liballegro5.0
Package: liballegro5-dev

I think the dev package should have a 5.0 in it as well so that when 5.2 comes out people can install either or. Also it would make supporting 5.1 easier because it would result in a liballegro5.1 and liballegro5.1-dev package.

We avoid to have multiple versions of the same library in Debian/Ubuntu whenever possible. On the other hand, all reverse dependencies have the name of the dev package in their control file. So if the dev package name contains the version, all reverse dependencies have to be changed if the version of the library changes. That's why we don't include the version in dev package names. For example, the dev package of Allegro 4.4 is still named liballegro4.2-dev, because that was the easiest way to do the transition. For a PPA you don't have this problem to the same extend, so you can include the versions in your dev package names.