Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM, torhu <torhu.lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Windows, I'd probably put all readonly data in a subfolder below the
> installation folder.

That's okay. Then in your OS X bundle, you'd create that same
subfolder to make things match.

> To sum up:  Keep BUNDLED_DATA, USER_SETTINGS and USER_DATA, dump the
> rest.  USER_SETTINGS and USER_DATA would have the same value on Windows.
> Or maybe this is too limited?

I'm fine with that. I agree that the APP/SYSTEM_DATA concept is not
very practical in terms of cross platform gaming. If one really wants
to go to the trouble of building an installable package that is cross
platform, then they can do the extra step of figuring out where to put
the data files themselves. Most people would just bundle the data near
the EXE, which would be the recommended and easy way to do it.

So for 5.0, I think we can get by with:

* BUNDLED_DATA
* USER_SETTINGS
* USER_DATA
* USER_HOME (c:\users\matthew; /home/matthew)
* USER_DOCUMENTS (c:\users\matthew\documents; /home/matthew/Documents)
* TEMP
* EXENAME

Then we can address app/system and shared data later if we can come up
with something that is solid. But for 99% of Allegro programs, I think
the above is sufficient.

--
Matthew Leverton