Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On January 3, 2011, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On January 3, 2011, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Matthew Leverton <meffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I guess that's supposed to be "state" data. Anyway, in line with my
> > > previous comments, if this isn't something Linux supports, then I
> > > don't think we should try to add support for it. SHARED_DATA could be
> > > synonymous with USER_DATA on Linux.
> > >
> > > We could simply warn that:
> > > a) Not all paths are guaranteed to be unique. So you must use unique
> > > file names if you don't want collisions. (Affects different paths
> > > depending on the platform.)
> >
> > Under Linux USER_DATA_PATH and USER_SETTINGS_PATH already are the same
> > thing, so we should add that warning anyway.
>
> No they aren't and if they are, someone did something wrong.
>
> settings should be ~/.config/orgname/appname
> data should be ~/.local/share/data/orgname/appname (or just
> ~/.local/share/data/appname, or possibly even ~/.local/{orgname/}?appname
>
> I see directories in each of the sub folders, but I think
> ~/.local/share/data is where the {orgname/}appname dir is supposed to be.
>
> > > b) The shared folders are guaranteed to be writable by the user AND
> > > permanent (i.e., not /tmp), but they aren't guaranteed to actually be
> > > globally sharable if the platform doesn't natively support that.
> >
> > Makes sense to me. I assume Windows would be the only platform where the
> > shared folder could be actually shared by different users.
>
> Ditto.

Ok, I just looked it up, I believe we should follow the FreeDesktop.org
basedir spec. And even I didn't get it quite right.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html

If no one else updates allegro's linux/unix handling, I'll do it after I fix
the multi monitor crud.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx