Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Matthew Leverton <meffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I haven't really read all of this thoroughly, so apologies if I'm
> repeating something. But why not just have something like:
>
> ALLEGRO_PROGRAM_DATA_PATH
>
> ALLEGRO_APP_DATA_PATH for that.

To be clear, those are synonyms for the same concept.

Some examples:

ALLEGRO_APP_DATA_PATH: exefolder/ (non/bundle),
exefolder/../Content/Resources (OS X bundle)
ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH: /usr/share/prog/ (linux);
c:\users\default\prog (windows)
ALLEGRO_USER_DATA_PATH: /home/matthew/.prog (linux);
c:\users\matthew\prog (windows)

Or something like that. (Don't remember the exact paths off hand.)

So if the demo wants to be super careful, it could test all three of
those locations. However, ALLEGRO_APP_DATA_PATH should always contain
the data (in bundle or not). The other two locations would only be
needed if the user actually moved the data away to one of those
folders. (And they wouldn't even know what the prog folder is...)

--
Matthew Leverton