Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 13:57 -0700, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On January 2, 2011, Peter Hull wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Try the attached patch.
> >
> > That looks OK for ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH; a5teroids does work now
> > with this patch *and* with al_get_standard_path(ALLEGRO_PROGRAM_PATH)
> > replaced by al_get_standard_path(ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH) in
> > Game.cpp. However I don't know if this would break every other
> > platform?
>
> The reason it uses PROGRAM_PATH is because most platforms expect the data to
> be near the examples, as they aren't supposed to be installed or distributed.
> On Unix/Linux, changing it to SYSTEM_DATA_PATH will want the example data put
> in /usr/share some place, not something I think we want.
>
> I'm not sure how we should handle that, maybe #ifdef in some special mac code
> when in a bundle? I dunno.

I'd say either an #ifdef or simply check in two places. It's up to a
game creator whichever of those they want - the #ifdef to make sure data
is read only from one place, or checking two places so e.g. your artist
could easily override data within the bundle.

For the demo, the two places probably would be ALLEGRO_PROGRAM_PATH and
ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH. The first one should work whenever you run the
built examples without installing. The second one should work for the
installed app (whether as a bundle or not and whether in OSX or not).

What paths are we using in Windows btw? There seems to be a lot of
places where a game might want to install its data... just curious.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx>