Re: [AD] standard path updates

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Matthew Leverton <meffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've committed this along with the xdg user dir stuff for localized
> documents folder. Tested on Ubuntu and OS X 10.4.

http://alleg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/alleg?view=revision&revision=14248

I set it up so that DOCUMENTS automatically falls back to HOME on
Linux, so the comment regarding that it's likely to fail is not really
true. If it fails, then HOME will fail too.

Alternatively it could return $HOME/org.name/app.name. Or NULL. I
think I prefer it to return $HOME though.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think USER_DOCUMENTS_PATH should append the org/app name on Windows.

I was just about to test it on Windows. I didn't realize it was doing
that. The behavior should be consistent across platforms (either
always do it, or never).

But people do need to be careful to not blindly write data into that
folder. I would rather return the true documents or home dir and just
tell people in the docs that if they write there without the user
supplying a filename, they should append org/app name to avoid
accidentally overwriting a user file.

--
Matthew Leverton