Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On 2 Jan 2011, at 15:50 , Trent Gamblin wrote:
> My first thought is, why put it in a bundle anyway?

Why not?
It's a demo of what you can do with Allegro afterall, showing how to do things in someone's own code. And it's a fully playable game in its own right.

> It's just a demo, not a real app. If I'm reading this
> right then ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH will get the Resources/ directory in the bundle, so people wishing to
> make bundles can use that. It's unlikely that someone (besides us?) would deploy both a bundled and a non
> bundled version of their game both for Mac OS X.

Except during development, you'd never have a non-bundled version of the game on OS X, I think. Now, here's the thing: do we want the demo to show people how they can write code that "Just Works" on all platforms, including finding the resources? I think we can argue that it should, but then we should maybe have a conditional switch for using ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH or ALLEGRO_PROGRAM_PATH, depending on whether the program is intended to be an installable application or not.
Note that in that case, we'd have the same problem on Windows or *NIX. It's just that we never build it that way on those platforms, but we do on OS X.

Evert