Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On January 2, 2011, Matthew Leverton wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Peter Hull <peterhull90@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just to repeat my question (unix and windows folks!), would changing
> > getResource() in Game.cpp to use ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH break the
> > demo on other platforms?
>
> In Windows, that location should be something like
> c:\users\default\prog\, although I don't know what it returns. It
> should have not be relative to the executable at all. (In fact, I
> don't see why that location would be relative to the executable in any
> path.)
>
> A regular user cannot save into c:\program files\prog\. So
> ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH would be used to share data generated by the
> program (high scores, etc) among different users. It is very unlikely
> for a Windows program to ever use that location to load data that is
> bundled with the program. I'm pretty sure almost all Windows programs
> load data from the path relative to the exectuable.

As I stated in another message, thats not what SYSTEM_DATA was intended for.
It really is supposed to be for the installed data. Not a place to save stuff
globally.

I just totally forgot to include a global rw data path. We should probably add
one if we can. Though I don't know if unix has anything like that other than
/tmp .

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx