Re: [AD] support for mod files

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As I've mentioned before, I'm unsure as DUMB is unmaintained.

I suppose you could instead call it "complete." DUMB is not dependent
on any particular OS features, so it's not likely to spontaneously
break.

> Since you'd need to install DUMB anyway, perhaps the addon belongs in
> the DUMB package, as was the case for Allegro 4.

The same could be said for any add-on that is dependent on a library.
On Ubuntu, it's as simple as:

sudo apt-get install libdumb1-dev

Does the build system even support drop-in add-ons? When adding this
to the build system, I had to modify addons/CMakeLists.txt among
others.

The case of what belongs as an official add-on or not is less
important if there's a universal, natural way to add your own.
(Regardless, I would still argue that any minimalistic audio codec
should be supported by the acodec add-on.)

> Unless it's likely that the addon will support other backends as well?

In theory, it could. I personally would have no interest in adding
support for other libraries.

> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What are the advantages of using mod over rendering to .ogg then using
> the ogg addon?

Even mod files with large samples will be shorter than the Ogg
version, at least if it is a few minutes of length. And if you want
the 80's "chip" sound, the files are generally less than 20KB. And of
course, if you are building a game or application with user supplied
content, it's rather restrictive to tell them to convert all of their
files.

--
Matthew Leverton