Re: [AD] support for mod files

On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 22:09 +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2010-04-03, Trent Gamblin <trent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, April 3, 2010 7:58 pm, Matthew Leverton said:
> > > I've created an addon designed to be part of acodec that adds support
> > > for MOD, IT, XM, and S3M files via libdumb (external dependency). I
> > > can commit it if there are no objections.
> >
> > Though I have no use for it myself, I don't object as long as dumb remains
> > an external dependancy, not bloating the distribution too much with the
> > full sources.
>
> As I've mentioned before, I'm unsure as DUMB is unmaintained.
>
> Since you'd need to install DUMB anyway, perhaps the addon belongs in
> the DUMB package, as was the case for Allegro 4.  Unless it's likely
> that the addon will support other backends as well?

What are the advantages of using mod over rendering to .ogg then using
the ogg addon? Rendering .ogg likely has better performance (if the mod
has many effects at least) and also should be smaller (unless the mod
uses samples very sparingly, but they still are uncompressed pcm).

Still, I don't see much harm including it. We also support things like
the .pcx format with probably the sole purpose of making porting old A4
games easier.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx>