Re: [AD] blending regression

On 5 Mar 2010, at 23:26 , Pavel Sountsov wrote:
> Well... you change from having to do the conversion once at the vertex
> array creation time, to having to do conversion every time the vertex
> array is drawn. Plus theres the issue of where to store the transformed
> vertices, since they can't be transformed in place, I'd have to make
> (yet another) buffer to store the transformed vertices in.

As I said, I'd rather work out a way to store that information in the colour struct we already have (maybe we could implicitly store the 32-bit value needed for D3D on Windows in case we need it?)

> I suppose I already do that for indexed primitives and old cards for
> D3D... but I don't really laud those as great successes on my part: they
> are unavoidable consequences of D3D being... a suboptimal API to do
> program in. Now at least for this color business this is avoidable via
> the ALLEGRO_PRIM_COLOR trick... I don't really think it's that bad, and
> the reason for its existence can be (and already is, I think) documented.

Well... it is kindof ugly, and it makes Allegro's API a bit more messy and a bit more complicated.
From the perspective of Allegro being a platfrom-neutral programming API that allows people to write code for a bunch of (very) different platforms without having to change a thing, I feel we should definitely support D3D and make things work well there.
From a purely selfish and personal point of view I couldn't care less about D3D and Windows in general and it annoys me when D3D imposes a limitation or inconvenience on me, so I'd like to think of a way around that.

Evert