Re: [AD] Splitting filesystem APIs

On 18 Apr 2009, at 22:23 , Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
Fine. Feel free to remove all my work.

Oh, come on, please. Don't be like that. No one said they wanted to do that and no one said they don't appreciate all the hard work you've done.

Don't make a new api that will be
easier to work with, especially for new coders.

Ok, rather than exchanging opinions on what's easier and what isn't, why don't we get a clear picture of what the advantages of either design are (I know, some things have been mentioned here and there as examples for this case or that, but I for one don't have a clear image in my mind that gives me the complete picture) and give clear, real world examples. Get some input (especially from aforementioned "new coders"). Get a few people from ACC who have been using the new API to comment on things.

No we don't need to evolve
anything at all, it just needs to be more of the same.

Now you're just being silly.

Trying new things == bad. Obviously.

No, but changing things for the sake of changing things is worse. And there *is* something to be said for a conservative design that people are more familiar with. Hey, guess what. I never liked state-based APIs and I still don't. But I can live with it.

Evert