Re: [AD] Planning 4.9.10

On 14 Apr 2009, at 11:48 , Peter Hull wrote:
2. The OS X dialog 'style' don't really match up with
ALLEGRO_MESSAGEBOX_WARN|ERROR|QUESTION - basically we've got
Informational, Warning and Critical. The first two are
indistinguishable and Critical is supposed to be only for when serious
things will ensue (like formatting a disk). So I've put everything as
Warning for now.

Seems fine to me (there are similar issues with the mouse cursors and to a lesser extent with the options for the file picker). I'd add an ALLEGRO_MESSAGEBOX_INFO (or equivalent) though, for when you're not flagging any of the other suggestions.

3. OS X lays the buttons out right-to-left so the default button is on
the right and is the first to be added. So in the example, with the
custom buttons "Oh no!|Don't press|Ok" it looks a bit odd (Oh no! is
the default) But if I lay them out in reverse order, pressing OK
returns 1 which is also not what you'd want. If I also invert the
return values then OK is the default and returns 3, but then a stock
Yes/No dialog is wrong; Yes is the default and on the right, so it
returns 2 but the docs say it should be 1.

Hmm... we may need to think about how to deal with this a bit more.
Although I think we should try to have the dialog box reproduce the "native" look and feel as much as possible (so we shouldn't try to force an external notion on what the "right most" or "default" button should be).

Maybe the user should explicitly specify what the default action should be? In that case, we can add that first on OS X?

Evert