Re: [AD] April First

Hey

> SDL got their iPhone port with a google summer of code project. So if
> anyone has the extra time you speak of on their hands, could also use it
> to fill out the google application forms and then select and mentor a
> student to implement it. Whether that is more or less efficient than
> using the same time to implement it yourself is another question of
> course :)

About GSOC, I have been involved for the last three years and I'd like
to point out that there is always a lot of interested in game-related
stuff from students. So there is a good chance that Allegro attracts
enough students to be able to pick a really good one. It's a long-term
investment too, there is a good chance that successful students become
active developers.

The primary mentor would need to guard the process, i.e. fill out forms
and make sure the student doesn't disappear, but a lot of the day-to-day
stuff can be offloaded to the mailinglist as a whole. The key is to
introduce the student to the community as quickly as possible.

I'm not volunteering to mentor though, I'll be mentoring for the GenMAPP
organisation (and anyway I'm not really up-to-date with A5 internals).

regards,
Martijn (Amarillion)