Re: [AD] April First

2009/2/24 Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> April first is coming fast, so the question is: do we release
> something on April first and if so, what?
> I think we definitely should release something, so in my opinion the
> answer to the first question is "yes". The second one isn't so clear.
>
> What is clear, I think, is that it's not going to be something we
> would want to call "5.0.0 release", because I don't think we're going
> to get the API finalisation, debugging and manual writing done before
> then.
>
> What I think we can reach by that time is a "beta" or "preview"
> release where the API has stabilised (feature freeze), but that does
> mean we would need to get a lot of things done before the next release
> (in one-two weeks?) and immediately after. The distinction "beta" and
> "release candidate" would be that for the RC, we would need to have
> the code base better debugged, better examples and better documentation.
>
> All of this is of course just a cheap ploy to release something with
> "5.0" in the version string on April first. An alternative I would
> like could be "5.0-epsilon".
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions?

A feature freeze is possible, but the deadline is too short to finalise
the API.

That said, I have been thinking about a similar plan for later *this year*.
Instead of reaching for an unattainably perfect "5.0" release, we'd aim for
a decent 5.0 release, with an intent to release 5.2 relatively soon after;
the point of which is to nail down the API so people can start to use it
without worrying about getting the rug pulled from under their feet.
They may, however, hit bugs (unavoidable), implementation limitations, unclear
documentation, etc.  Of course, we should try to improve those aspects also,
but the focus would need to switch to critically reviewing the API that we
already have.

Peter