Re: [AD] Additions for al_get_path() (was Re: Allegro 5 TODOs (from wiki))

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> AL_USER_HOME_PATH is more the base of the user's local disk allocation. In
> unix, its the base of USER_DATA_PATH, and USER_SETTINGS_PATH and whatnot. So
> thats probably why I used PROFILE, but as you said, you can't really do
> anything with that path in windows.

I understand what it is conceptually, but I don't think it is
important for Allegro to provide that information because there's
nothing platform independent that you can do with it. By calling it
HOME_PATH and setting it to the Windows PROFILE path, you basically
must warn the user "don't put anything in the home path," which makes
it useless. By calling it HOME_PATH and setting it to the Windows
PERSONAL path, it's a misnomer.

So I think it should be named accordingly: USER_DOCUMENT_PATH. It's
the default place to put files that the user should be able to edit
outside of the application. e.g, It might be where you save in-game
screenshots. There is also a system-wide version of it, at least for
Windows.

--
Matthew Leverton