Re: [AD] al_font_textprintf() and uvszprintf()

On 2008-10-29, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > (the answer to this is: yes, they do come back in NFD)
> >
> > > I hope not. How do allegro's unicode conversions behave?
> >
> > IIRC Allegro's routines don't handle decomposed characters at all.
>
> It has to somehow "just work". I'm not sure how we can make it "just work".

I think the fshooks/path APIs should perform minimal interpretation of
any strings it gets.  Apart from the drive and directory separators,
they should just treat paths as opaque byte strings.  It'll be the
user's responsibility to convert that to some other encoding, e.g. to
display it using the font addon.  This is more likely to "just work"
than any amount of string mangling can manage (cf. Allegro 4 lopping
off accents on filenames because it thinks filesystems only deal in
ASCII).

Peter