Re: [AD] fs-hook on OS X

On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Peter Hull wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Right, so are those the only two places app data can be placed? Is there
> > no way it'll appear anywhere else? (not including legacy unix stuff, we
> > really only aught to support platform specific locations)
>
> If you want chapter and verse:
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/LowLevelFileMgmt/
>Tasks/LocatingDirectories.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001279 In the current
> version of code in fshooks,
> AL_SYSTEM_DATA_PATH returns the location for an application's
> read-only data (i.e resources)
> AL_USER_DATA_PATH returns the location for per-user read-write data
> (ie. preferences)
> There is no facility for getting system-wide read-write data.

Nor on unix, or windows for that matter.

> AL_USER_HOME_PATH returns the home, but it shouldn't be used as the
> root for a unix-style .something preferences file.

On unix right now, I made USER_DATA_PATH a clone of USER_HOME_PATH since there
isn't currently a way to append a user specified "Application Name" to the
USER_HOME_PATH, and they both happen to have the same root ($HOME)

> Just let me know what it should be, then we can get fshooks merged
> ASAP once 4.9.5 is out.

a unix style preferences file would go in a new USER_SETTINGS option.