Re: [AD] Platform specific functions in A5 [was Re: Windows Addition for Message Parsing]

Evert, you are stuck in my former objective which was to detect
multiple mice as it it were the only purpose of the patch.
 The thing I am suggesting does NOTHING to do with mice at all. It's a
simple function that expands possibilities on the Windows port of
Allegro. Forget about multiple mice, that's not the issue being
discussed in the first place.

>> So even more platform specific code? "For Windows, use this Allegro
>> functionality. For other OSs we have to use an external lib." Isn't
>> the point
>> of Allegro to provide cross-platform capabilities, without the user
>> having to
>> directly use platform-specific libs?

So, want to write an universal all-in-one library that does everything?

> Yes, so as I said, for this particular case, we should not add this
> function so people can use more functionality (multiple mice) - if we
> want that we should implement support for that properly.

Here we go again...

> Apparently, intercepting messages cannot really be abstracted into a
> platform neutral function, unfortunately. I figured it'd be very hard
> to do, but thought we should discuss it anyway.

I knew we could not disagree on everything!
Even if it could be abstracted it would require some array of
functions (like platform_msg(INPUT_MESSAGE),
platform_msg_response(RESPONSE_OK)) or some sort of mechanism for
neutralizing platform-specific values, but yet again, I'm not familiar
with internal messaging on other OSes.

I will make a last attempt for you to consider what I suggest (but
please, don't think on mice)
The rawmouse code I got it was like a library I wanted to use together
with Allegro. It needed to do some processing when receiving WM_INPUT
messages, but Allegro won't cooperate on handing me that possibility
with ease. The patch (hack, modification, addition, whatever you like
to call it) allows the user to integrate libraries and code that would
require parsing messages. Otherwise said it's a feature that enhances
the possibility of using third party libraries and code with Allegro
in Windows platforms.

--
 Elias Zacarias