Re: [AD] multiple windows

Peter Hull wrote:
Info on sharing for Macs
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1248.html

Info on what SDL does
http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/SDL_5fDisplayFormat
basically you load an image as its 'native' format, then use
SDL_Surface *SDL_DisplayFormat(SDL_Surface *surface);
to convert (optimize) it to the display's format.

I see, but as far I've been following, Allegro will automagically adapt bitmaps depending on how they are used. Transferring back and forth from video-memory bitmap happens implicitly. Programmer can only give allegro a hint. Allegro will manage bitmaps the best it can in respect to the attached AL_DISPLAY object. Did I misunderstood something so far?

I don't think it will be any harder to attach several AL_DISPLAY objects to the bitmap and adapt the bitmap in respect to all of them. If we've got two AL_DISPLAY objects opened on different X11 displays, one supporting OGL, the other one not, the bitmap would have to be a memory bitmap trying to match the pixel format of both of them if possible. In case every AL_DISPLAY object represents a shareable OGL context the bitmap could be a GL texture, unless allegro decides it would be better if it was a memory bitmap for some other reason.

Is see no need for "compatible" bitmaps. Isn't "compatible bitmap" equal to "memory bitmap"?

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net