Re: [AD] CMake

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 11:25 +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2006-07-26, Peter Hull <peterhull90@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 7/26/06, Peter Wang <tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Yes, you would need to have CMake installed to build Allegro.
> > > (But apparently KDE4 are using CMake so it should be available for
> > > most Linux distributions soon.)
> >
> > I've never used CMake, but is it true to say that 'as developers' we'd
> > need to install it, whereas end users could simply use the generated
> > makefiles/project files, if they were included in the source packages?
> >

> Unfortunately not; the generated makefiles depend on having the CMake
> binary around.  If I had known this before trying out CMake I probably
> would never have tried :-)

Even if not, aren't the configure checks also done before generating the
makefile? So distributing the makefile would still not work.

Anyway, I also like the curses interface a lot.. and if they make a Qt
or GTK interface, this will get really nice.

For now, I'd like to keep scons around though, must first test how well
cmake will deal with dependencies when you add or remove files or change
the configuration.. and as long as we have someone to maintain the scons
build, I see no reason to remove it. That is, it would be ok if someone
who adds a file only does so for the cmake build, and scons is updated
later.

What we really should throw out now from 4.3 is the autotools build and
custom makefiles. Working only under one platform just seems
inacceptable, now that we have even two cross-platform tools. But again,
if someone updates the autotools build and custom makefiles (like for
scons), we can also keep it.

--
Elias Pschernig