Re: [AD] Windows unicode filename support

Chris napsal(a):
On Thursday 04 May 2006 16:23, Michal Molhanec wrote:
Well, you don't need dynamically allocated strings, I used them because
I just hate fixed size buffers.

Yes, and the stack already has a nice 1K buffer on it for this, and globals aren't terribly nice. Hence, problematic. ;)

My patch didn't use any global variable.

Every Windows machine has proper codepage set, many applications would
not work otherwise.

I was under the impression that the user can set a different codepage depending on their want. These codepages could have the same 7-bit ASCII base set, but then add over a hundred more.. like, Latin characters, or German characters, or whatever.

Normally is Windows codepage set during Windows installation based on selected regional settings. Under WinXP you can change codepage for nonunicode programs, I don't know if it was possible under Win98. However, there does not exist any rational reason for doing so. I'm not enough crazy to test it what it will do to my filenames on FAT partition. But that's not important, you are not specifying any particular encoding in the WideCharToMultibyte function, you are just saying "convert it to user's ANSI codepage whatever it is". You are not interested in exact encoding.

--
Regards,
    Michal

ICQ# 175762750