Re: [AD] NewAPI Poll

On 2006-02-21, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 08:24 +0000, Peter Hull wrote:
> > I vote _for_ it being state-based.
> > * it will simplify code
> > * it gives a better hint as to how the implementation works
> >
> > But, we _must_decide one system now and preferably decide for
> > sound technical reasons rather than because of a vote.
>
> I agree. If there's any good reason to keep the display target
> parameter, then I would change my mind.. so really, not much need for a
> poll, except to have it discussed.

You already know what Evert and myself think of implicit state.

One technical reason is that, most likely, a target parameter _will_ be
threaded through the Allegro internals, and having deal with this
disparity with the user-level API introduces more complexity into the
internals, not less (perhaps only to a small degree).  This is a big
assumption but I think it is defendable since we know how badly state
interacts with threads.

Though it honestly doesn't matter too much anymore, as I assume OpenGL
will be the graphics API of choice for future Allegro programs.

Peter