Re: [AD] Indexed datafiles

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 00:56, Elias Pschernig wrote:
[graphics mode vtables and resizable windows]
> I don't think we decided on vtables yet. We should probably soon.

Tell me what entries I should add and what they should look like and I can
add them.
This reminds me, did we have some sort of consensus about `dynamic' vtables
and defining a vtable interface to addon-libraries?
I have some more to say, but that should go in its own post I think.

> Yes. So, things like datafile indexing or config file listing can go
> into 4.2 (they require no extra work), but new things go into 4.3. Which
> means, we should apply those two to 4.2 in any case, right?

Well, it used to be that 4.even.n->4.even.n+1 only contained bugfixes,
which this isn't. I'm ok to relax that, but we should at least consider it
carefully before we decide to do that.
For instance, what happens when a 4.2.1 programme loads a 4.2.0 DLL
(or .so)? Bad things, obviously, if it tries to use symbols that aren't
there. I don't think it's a problem in Linux, since I think the loader
will complain about missing functions in that case, but I don't know about
Windows. Does Allegro detect that the DLL it's trying to load is outdated
and fail (ie, install_allegro() returns an error code)? Right now, I don't
think it does, but if we're going to do something like this it should.

Evert