Re: [AD] Indexed datafiles

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 08:49, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> question then is, where do we stop? Like, do we e.g. want resizable
> windows support there?

No, we don't. Well, we do, but we really shouldn't try to do it.

> I think there was almost-working patches for both
> windows and X11 around at some points..

Yes, but (as I recall) they were a bit hackish and I'm not sure if the
semantics were the same for both?
Part of the reason to NOT put this in 4.2 is that in order to do it cleanly
and properly part(s) of the graphics system had to be rewritten anyway.
If we're going to add this, lets try to get it right. ;)

> applying them to 4.3 would mean adapting to the new display API first.

No, it means deciding what the API should look like (I think we did that?),
adding the NULL vtable entries and streamlining the proposed 4.2 code.
Remember that 4.3's graphics system is (right now) implemented on top of
4.2 vtables. Implementing the proposed 4.2 way should be (about) as hard
as applying it to 4.2 itself.

@Jon: you did the original X11 patch for resizable windows, right? Do you
still have it?

> OTOH, all time spent into the 4.2 branch is lost on the 4.3 branch..

Which is exactly why we released 4.2 when we did (well, several months
after we wanted to, but anyway): to get ahead and do things for 4.3 rather
than keep hacking things into 4.2 itself.

Evert